Richmond VA > Social Services > Programs > Nutrition Assistance (Food Stamps)

Last Updated: 2018-06-18

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, helps low-income individuals and families buy food and meet their nutritional needs. SNAP is a federal program administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Benefits are issued through Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards that can be used in place of cash to buy food as a supplement to the family's food budget. The EBT cards are accepted at most grocery stores. To find out additional information on how to apply for SNAP benefits you may call 804-646-4110.

Apply for SNAP Benefits Online

Check or Renew Benefits/ Report Changes


  •  •   VDSS Eligibility Income Limits

  • Documents You May Need

  •  •   Proof of identity (driver's license or picture ID)
  •  •   Proof of residence
  •  •   Proof of income
  •  •   Proof of resources
  •  •   Proof of shelter expenses
  • All of the above items are not required to complete an application but may be required at a later stage
    in the process to determine eligibility for benefits.

    All information that you provide is confidential. Information will only be given to persons directly
    connected with administering or enforcing provisions of the programs for which you apply.

    Helpful Resources

    20 Ways to Save at the Grocery Store


    Choose My Plate  /  Mi Plato  (Healthy Eating)

    10 Tips  (Nutrition)


    The goal of the employment assistance program for food stamps recipients, SNAPET (formerly known
    as FSET), is to provide opportunities for job search and job training so that SNAP recipients will no
    longer be dependent on food stamps. The program is open to individuals who are not receiving
    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). The program targets single adults living alone.

    Registrants are referred to the SNAPET program at the time of food stamp application, reapplication
    and every 12 months thereafter unless a change occurs that affects exemption status.

    Clients in the program may participate in a job search, job readiness training, and unpaid work
    experience, which may serve to make them more employable. Supportive services may include child
    day care, transportation, and medical/dental services.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    I’ve lost my Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. How do I get a new one?

    If an EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, the cardholder can call the toll free, 24-hour Virginia EBT
    Customer Service Help Line at (866)281-2448. After verifying the identity and address of the
    cardholder, the original card will be deactivated and a new one issued. If the cardholder’s address has
    changed, the cardholder must notify RDSS of the address change by calling 3-1-1 or their Benefit
    Program Specialist. To obtain a new card in an emergency, contact Richmond Department of Social
    by calling 3-1-1 or visiting a service location.

    How do I check the balance available on my EBT card?

    To check the balance available on the EBT card to make food purchases, cardholders can call the
    customer service line at (866)281-2448 and enter the 16 digits on the front of the card. At the
    point of purchase, some stores will allow the cardholder to swipe the card, enter the PIN and
    check the available balance. Cardholders can also access their balance and transaction history
    online by selecting "Virginia" and logging in or creating an account.

    More EBT card questions?

    Visit the Virginia Department of Social Services EBT page.

    Where do I send the information verifying my application for SNAP?

    If you were instructed to send additional information for your application:

    • Email - Ask your Benefit Program Specialist for their email address, then scan and email
      copies to them.
    • Mail - Send copies in an envelope with your worker’s name to:
      900 E. Marshall Street
      Richmond, VA 23219

    • In-Person - Bring your documents to an RDSS location to be scanned and emailed to your
      Benefits Program Specialist on-site.

    Nondiscrimination Statement

    In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution
    is prohibited from discriminating in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national
    origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status,
    religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an
    individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to
    all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program
    information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-
    (voice and TDD).

    To file a complaint of discrimination, write

    USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights,
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

    This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.