Richmond VA > Social Services > Home

Last Updated: 2021-02-24

City Of Richmond

COVID-19 Updates, Resources and FAQ’s

  • Citizens can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call (804) 646-7000. Benefit workers will contact citizens directly to conduct interviews by phone.
  • Emergency SNAP benefits will be issued on Tuesday, February 16th. Citizens can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call (804) 646-7000. Citizens who need to apply for benefits should call the Enterprise Call Center at (855) 635-4370 or go online. Pending applications, renewals or verifications can be faxed to (804) 646-7018 or placed in the drop box at the front of the Marshall Plaza or Southside Community Service Center. Citizens who need to submit benefit case documentation (Required Verifications, Pending Renewals, SNAP Interin Reporta and Change Forms only) can email them to Citizens needing an EBT replacement card are encouraged to call (866) 281-2448. If you have questions about your EBT card, call the 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at (866) 281-2448.
  • Clients that are approved for SNAP Benefits, their EBT cards will be mailed and some clients will be notified, if they are eligible, to schedule an appointment to pick up their EBT card. (Appointments will be scheduled in 20 minute increments, for those eligible, on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.).
  • Citizens may continue to call the Fraud Hotline with questions at (804) 646-5707. Appointments will be scheduled by the Fraud Supervisor for forms that may require signature and notary.
  • Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect - During COVID19, instances of child abuse and neglect continue to occur in the City of Richmond. Please take a moment to view the "Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect" infographic. To report a suspected child abuse and neglect, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond Hotline (Monday thru Friday / 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) at (804) 646-0438 or the DSS 24/7 CPS Hotline at (800) 552-7096.
  • Reporting Adult Abuse and Neglect - Adult Protective Services (APS) staff are available to respond to an investigation regarding allegations of abuse and/or neglect involving the elderly or adults with a disability. To make a report, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond City Hotline (Monday thru Friday / 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) at (804) 646-7405 or the 24/7 APS Hotline at (888) 832-3858.

For additional information on Richmond City Services please click on the City of Richmond, VA link

Department of Social Services (DSS)
Frequently Asked Questions
Updated: February 24, 2021

How can I apply for benefits?

Call: (855) 635-4370
Fax a paper application to: (804) 646-7018
Drop Box at Marshall Plaza (900 E. Marshall Street)
Drop Box at Southside Plaza (4100 Hull Street)

How can I find out the status of my benefits application (SNAP, TANF, and MEDICAID)?

Call: (855) 635-4370

How can I get a replacement EBT Card if my card is lost, stolen or damaged?

Call: (866) 281-2448
(Toll-free, 24 Hour Customer Service Hotline)

How can I report child abuse/neglect or elder abuse?

Call to report child abuse: (804) 646-0438
(After Hours: (800) 552-7096)
Call to report elder abuse: (804) 646-7405
(After Hours: (888) 832-3858)

Who is my worker?

Call: 3-1-1 or (804) 646-7212

Where can I find additional resources during the COVID19 Pandemic?

Child Care Subsidy:
RVA Strong:

Are Emergency SNAP benefits going to be issued?

Yes. Virginia will issue emergency allotments to households in February. The emergency benefits will allow the household’s current monthly allotment to increase to the maximum allotment for a household of that size.

Why didn’t I get an emergency allotment?

The emergency allotment was calculated by the maximum allotment issuance for the household size, minus the amount that was issued for that month. If you received the maximum benefit you would not be eligible to receive the emergency allotment.

Will the regular SNAP issuance be given?

Yes. The regular allotment will go out in accordance to the regular staggering schedule which occurs on the 1st, 4th and 7th of each month.

Am I eligible to receive SNAP benefits?

You may complete an online screening at Scroll to the middle of the page and click "Am I Eligible?" Please remember this is a prescreening tool, you must apply for SNAP to get a final decision.

Has the application process changed for SNAP?

There are no policy changes to the SNAP application process. Households must file an application for SNAP benefits with the Local Department of Social Services in the locality where the household resides.

How can I get health coverage?

You can apply for Medicaid at any time at Medicaid covers a variety of services, including testing and treatment for COVID-19.

I am worried my prescriptions will run out. How can I prepare?

Medicaid is allowing members to fill a 90-day supply of many routine prescriptions. Check with your pharmacist or doctor.

Will my current coverage be canceled if I experience a change in circumstances and/or I was late mailing in my renewal documents?

No, Virginia Medicaid will not cancel coverage for eligible individuals due to a change in circumstances or paperwork issues. Our priority is to maintain your coverage during this time. If you experience issues, please contact so that we might assist you.

I Want To...


    Apply For/Manage
    Benefits Online

  •   •    Food Stamps (SNAP)

  •   •    Medical Assistance (Medicaid)  

  •   •    Energy Assistance

  •   •    Child Care Services

  •   •    Temporary Assistance
              for Needy Families (TANF)


    Find Services for
    Myself or Family

  •   •    Child, Family, and
              Adult Services

  •   •    Children's Health

  •   •    Employment Assistance    

  •   •    Emergency Assistance

  •   •    Auxiliary Grants

  • Get Help with Suicide Prevention  
    for Veterans, Adults and Teens

  • Report Abuse or Neglect

  •   Report a suspected instance
    of welfare fraud

  • Get Help with Heating/
    Cooling Expenses

  • Find Other Resources in
    the Community

  • Become a Foster Parent

  • Go Online!

    Did you know you can check eligibility, apply for, review, renew and report changes to your benefits
    online? You can access CommonHelp from:

    • Your personal computer
    • A mobile phone or tablet with internet access
    • A Richmond Public Library computer
    • A RDSS facility computer kiosk

    Visit today and skip the line!

    Our Programs

    Children, Families, and Adults (CF&A)   [ en Español ]

    The Children, Families, & Adults division focuses on ensuring that families and children are safe and
    secure in their own homes, in foster homes, and throughout the community at large.

    The office of the Children’s Services Act provides child-focused, cost-effective services
    to troubled and at-risk youth and their families. In collaboration with parents, private service providers,
    and other state and local agencies, CSA develops community and family-based plans to address the
    needs of at-risk children in their home, keeping families together whenever possible.

    The Economic Support & Independence division provides residents in need with tools and opportunities
    that promote economic stability. ES&I supplies aid for those citizens who require assistance preserving
    their own health and well-being, while also equipping them with skills that encourage self-sufficiency.

    Nondiscrimination Statement

    In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

    To file a complaint of discrimination, write

    USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights,
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

    Vision 2023 image click here to enlarge or download                                     haga clic aquí para ampliar o descargar

    This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.