Richmond VA > Public Utilities > Frequently Asked Questions

Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you think you smell natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 911. For more information, visit the Natural Gas Safety page.

CARES Act Municipal Utility Relief Funding

The deadline for submission of applications for the City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities CARES Act utility relief has passed. All account holders with approved applications will see a payment of CARES Act utility relief funds for all or portions of eligible arrearages for utility services from March 1 through December 30, 2020 on their February 2021 bill. In accordance with funding guidelines, this amount excludes any fees, taxes or other charges for which you are responsible.

Customers needing additional assistance should contact DPU customer service at 646-4646 to discuss options that will ensure your account is in good standing and not subject to future disconnection. Customers may also see available options below, including affordability programs.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.I have a natural gas emergency. What should I do?

If you have an emergency related to gas, or a gas leak, please leave immediately and go to an area where the odor of gas is no longer present and call 911.

2.I have a non-natural gas related utility emergency. What should I do?

If you have an emergency related to water, sewer or carbon monoxide please call 646-4646 and select Option 1 IMMEDIATELY.

3.I don’t have a utility emergency. Can I still speak to a representative about my account?

To avoid long wait times, we encourage customers to visit for account information or email> with a detailed account inquiry. Please allow up to three (3) business days for us to research your inquiry and provide a written response. The phone lines at (804) 646-4646 are open, however high call volume is expected.

4.Should I dial 311 if I’m unable to reach your office?

No. The 311 Citizen Service and Response Call Center is unable to respond to DPU billing, payment, connection and disconnection requests. However, you may report stormwater, sewer and streetlight issues by calling 3-1-1 or using

5.How can I pay my bill?

Due to social distancing guidelines, we encourage customers to use one of the options listed below.

a.One-time payment: CLICK HERE TO PAY WITH KUBRA EZ-PAY. Have your account number and zip code available.

b.Self-Service: Call (804) 646-4646 and follow the prompts.

c.Check or money order: Mail your payment using the enclosed envelope with your bill.
OUR MAILING ADDRESS CHANGED IN JUNE! To ensure timely receipt and proper credit of your utility payments, please update your records. This includes automatic bill payment services and personally addressed payments.

New remittance address:City of Richmond Utilities PO Box 71210 Charlotte, NC 28272-1210

d.City Hall Dropbox: Located on the 10th Street side. Please do not deposit cash. Checks and money orders only.

e.In person:Visit our payment center at City Hall (900 E. Broad Street).

IMPORTANT: Please note that in support of continued social distancing guidelines, visitors are required to sign in at the guard’s desk and wear a mask or face covering while conducting business at this location. Please obey all signs upon entering and exiting the City Hall location.

6.Is my utility payment still due during COVID-19?

Yes. DPU is continuing to bill for regular monthly usage. We encourage all customers that are able, to continue to make utility payments as bills are received. However, we are offering flexible payment terms of up to 12 months, regardless of your balance, upon request. Based upon your payment history the normally required down payment can be waived. Please note that payment term amounts must be paid in full each month along with your current monthly charges. See #11 for additional resources. Call us today at (804) 646-4646 to discuss your options.

7.Will my services be disconnected if I am unable to pay my bill on the due date?

No. Public health and safety remains a priority and DPU remains committed to helping our customers through this time. However, we strongly encourage delinquent customers to take action now to avoid future interruption of utility services. If you have specific questions, call us at (804) 646-4646. Agents are standing by to assist Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.

8.What company do you use for collections? How can I reach them?

Ballato Law Firm handles collections for DPU. Once an account is transferred to Ballato Law Firm, the customer must contact Ballato directly for all account matters. Their agents are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm to address your account needs. You can dial them directly at (804) 433-1060 or visit their website to send an email or submit a payment using a credit or debit card. Collection activity for utility services rendered prior to March 16, 2020 or for storm water-only service remain in effect. Customers are encouraged to contact Ballato immediately to discuss account concerns and explore payment options.

9.My services were restored because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Will I lose my service immediately after COVID-19?

If your services were restored due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we strongly encourage you to contact us promptly at (804) 646-4646 to participate in our payment plan programs. Agents are standing by to assist you.

10.What type of notification will I receive prior to disconnection after COVID-19?

At the end of the state of emergency for COVID-19, DPU will resume normal collection activity. If your services are scheduled for disconnection, you will be notified through your monthly bill. To avoid interruption, we encourage you to contact us to establish payment terms.

11. What resources are available to assist customers experiencing financial difficulties?

We understand the continued financial uncertainty of customers during this time and are working to assist customers through post-pandemic impacts. We continue to encourage customers to explore the following assistance programs:

MetroCare Water Program – This water bill payment assistance program provides funds to eligible families and individuals who are having difficulty paying their primary water bills due to financial concerns. There is an application process and ratepayers can receive up to $500 per applicant if approved. For more information, call (804) 646-4646.

MetroCare Heat Program – This heating bill payment assistance program provides funds to eligible families and individuals who are having trouble paying their primary heating bills due to a financial difficulty or other special hardship. The program period began Dec. 15. Residents within Richmond Gas Works' service territory may apply for funds through MetroCare. For more information, call (804) 646-4646.

SeniorCare Program – This program caters to the unique needs of seniors 65 years of age and older in the Richmond metropolitan community. Senior customers can sign up for this program and take advantage of Winter Service Assurance, no late fees, security deposit waiver program, annual weatherization kit giveaways and third party notification. For more information, call (804) 646-4646.

Universal Payment Arrangement – This program assists customers with managing their finances through the COVID-19 pandemic and proactively creates payment terms for residential customers more than 90 days in arrears with the exclusion of ELDERLY coded accounts and accounts currently on a BUDGET plan. The mass creation of the universal payment arrangement, began on June 1, 2020 and allows customers to pay the arrears in 6 or 12 monthly installments plus current charges as billed. Eligible customers are notified via their monthly bill.

12.For recordkeeping purposes, I submitted my payment with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, with a request for a copy of the receipt to be returned. When can I expect to receive the receipt?

Your next bill will show payments applied against balance owed. If you have additional questions, feel free to follow up via email at or call (804) 646-4646. Please take this time to update your records as our payment remittance address has changed: New remittance address: City of Richmond Utilities PO Box 71210 Charlotte, NC 28272-1210

13.I am moving to a new location and need a final bill. What should I do?

Please email your details to The billing department will work to ensure that your final meter reading (from the move-out location) along with your start meter reading (for the move-in location) is processed for billing purposes. Please allow up to one billing cycle for your account to be finalized or adjusted as needed.

14.My account was billing on actual meter readings prior to the City closing. I am now receiving a bill based on estimated usage. Why is this happening?

When an actual meter read is not available for billing purposes, DPU will estimate the account based on historical usage. We will diligently work to resolve any account issues. If you have a question or concern, please email us at with your detailed request.

15.I have an escalated account issue requiring immediate attention. How can I reach someone?

If you need to speak with someone regarding an escalated issue, please send us an email at Please provide a brief description of your request and indicate that you would like to speak with a supervisor. Please allow up to two (2) business days for us a supervisor to contact you.

16.Why can’t DPU provide free water to its residents?

As this pandemic emphasizes, clean and safe water is one of the most valuable resources in the protection of public health and safety. It is also one often taken for granted. The City’s sole source of drinking water is the James River. Water has to be pulled from the river and then treated, stored, distributed, and routed to homes and businesses. This is no small feat and requires a significant amount of capital and human resources, not to mention the added burden an aging infrastructure places on a utility. Rates paid by consumers help to ensure the water you receive at the tap is clean and safe and there when you need it.

RVA Impact Map displays projects (i.e. gas, water, paving, etc.), events (i.e. parades, races, block parties, etc.) and right of way impacts (i.e. detours, partial and full lane closures, barricades, parking restrictions, etc.) as an interactive map for informational and navigational purposes. Data displayed is refreshed as changes are made.

Contact Information:

Public Utilities
City of Richmond
900 E. Broad St.,
Room 115
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Phone: (804)646-4646
Interested in learning about how our award winning water is treated and transported to your home or how the water that leaves your home is treated and placed back into the James River? Request a tour of our Water Treatment Plant or Wastewater Treatment Plant. Click here to fill out the form.

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.